A quick word about privacy
Your privacy is important to us. This information highlights a few of the key points from our full Privacy Notice, which provides more detail about the global privacy practices of the Alaska Air Group: Alaska and Horizon Air.
What is "personal data" ?
"Personal data" means information about a person that can be linked to that person. For example, an identifiable individual’s email address, travel record and credit card number are personal data.
How we collect personal data
We collect personal data when you interact with us in-person (such as during travel) or through other online or offline channels, such as our websites, apps, inflight entertainment systems, and call centers. We also receive personal data collected by our affiliates, partners, loyalty program participants, service providers, travel agents, other airlines, and others who are involved in your travel experience, as well as other third parties, such as companies that provide demographic information we use to supplement information we have about you.
How we use and disclose personal data
We use and disclose personal data to provide and improve travel and other services, to communicate with you (including through marketing), to protect our company and others, to comply with law, and as otherwise described in our more detailed Privacy Notice.
Your rights and choices
You can log into your online account to access and update certain personal data and to adjust certain privacy preferences. Where appropriate, certain communications (such as marketing emails) also contain instructions for adjusting your preferences. Our detailed Privacy Notice has more information about these options. You may also contact us as described below for help or to exercise any other rights that you may have under applicable data protection law. These rights vary depending on where you reside and other factors.
How to contact us
For more information about our privacy practices, you can review our full Privacy Notice or contact us as described below. You can also use this contact info to make requests about your personal data or to provide us with a complaint or question.
WHO WE ARE
This is the main Privacy Notice for the Alaska Air Group airlines: Alaska Airlines, Inc. and Horizon Air Industries, Inc. Under applicable law, Alaska Airlines, Inc. ("Alaska") is considered the "data controller" of the personal data these companies handle under this Privacy Notice. In other words, Alaska is responsible for deciding how these companies collect, use and disclose this data. Alaska's contact information appears at the end of this Privacy Notice.
WHAT THIS PRIVACY NOTICE COVERS
This Privacy Notice applies to the Alaska websites and apps that link to this Privacy Notice, as well as to Alaska's own privacy practices in connection with our services. For that reason, this Privacy Notice does not cover actions of third parties related to our services. For example:
- When you arrange travel on our airlines through third parties (such as travel agents, other airlines, search engines and travel websites) those third parties' own privacy policies apply to their own handling of all the personal data they collect, and Alaska will handle the personal data that Alaska receives from them or you under this Privacy Notice.
- Alaska Mileage Plan™-branded credit cards and related financial products are provided by Bank of America (for U.S. residents) and The Toronto-Dominion Bank (MBNA, for Canadian residents). Their handling of personal data (including to assess your application and administer the card) is subject to their own privacy policies. When they share personal data with us (such as to coordinate eligibility for Mileage Plan™ miles based on card usage), we handle that limited data pursuant to this Privacy Notice.
- This Privacy Notice does not cover our human resources activities, other than our online Careers pages that collect data for recruiting purposes.
WHAT IS PERSONAL DATA?
"Personal data" means information about a person that can be linked to that person. For example, an identifiable individual's email address, travel record and credit card number are personal data.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL DATA
We collect personal data at the airport (such as at our ticket counters and kiosks) and through other online or offline channels, such as our websites, apps, inflight entertainment systems, and call centers. We also receive personal data collected by our affiliates, partners, loyalty program participants, service providers, travel agents, other airlines, and others who are involved in your travel experience, as well as other third parties such as companies that provide demographic information we use to supplement information to personalize your experience and our marketing and advertising. We may combine the personal data we receive from any of these sources.
CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL DATA WE HANDLE
We handle the following types of personal data:
- Contact information, such as name, postal address, telephone number, and email address
- Travel information, such as flight, hotel and vehicle reservation information, as well as confirmation codes and e-ticket numbers
- Data related to special requests or needs (such as dietary requests, wheelchair use during travel, or other medical needs)
- Demographics information, such as birth date and gender
- Governmental identifiers, such as Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Redress Number and Known Traveler Number
- Payment information, such as credit card number and expiration date
- Gift card and travel certificate information, such as card code and PIN number
- Mileage Plan™ number and other awards or loyalty program numbers
- Transactional and online activity data related to points earned through Mileage Plan™ partners
- Records of your communications with us (for example, we record all calls to our call center)
- The location of the device on which you install our app or access our website
- Biometric information: At some locations, biometric information may be collected during the security clearance process. At boarding, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may ask us to collect photographs of facial images for flights leaving the United States. Photographs shared with CBP will be compared to image(s) associated with your passport, other government issued travel documents, or prior border inspections. If you do not wish to have your biometrics collected for this purpose, you can speak to a Customer Service Agent and request an alternative verification procedure. For more information on CBP’s program, please visit https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics.
Additionally, we may let you use your fingerprint for things like accessing our airport lounge. Participation is completely optional. If you enroll, our system will scan your fingerprint, take certain measurements of it, and convert these measurements into an identifying code. We delete the initial image but retain the identifying code based on the measurements. We can't work backwards from this information to reproduce an image of your fingerprint, but the next time you scan your fingerprint, we'll repeat the measurement process and compare the identifying code to confirm your identity.
- Job applications: Information about your education, work and military history, citizenship or legal work eligibility status, and other information relevant to specific jobs for which you wish to apply, such as whether you are at least 18 years of age.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The specific uses of information we collect will depend on factors including the nature of the information, the purpose and context of the collection, and applicable law. Uses include:
- Providing our services
- Processing, evaluating, and responding to your requests, inquiries, and applications
- Contacting you (such as by text message, email, prerecorded or automated phone calls, live phone calls, mail, push notifications, or messages on third-party platforms):
- to provide transactional information (such as updates about purchased travel);
- to send you marketing communications, offers, and invitations to events, which may be based upon previous interactions with our sites, services and modelling of your personal information; or
- for any other purpose described in this Privacy Notice
- Administering contests, sweepstakes and events
- Tailoring our products, services, and advertising for you, including anticipating your likely preferences based on information concerning your previous travel with us, previous transactions, or communications with us, any of which we may combine with other information we have about you, and which may be based on our modelling of your personal information
- Determining appropriate advertising channels and venues and to place ads on such channels and venues, including social networking sites
- Measuring and managing the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing
- Conducting surveys, and performing market research and data analytics
- Creating aggregated or otherwise anonymized data, which we may use and disclose without restriction
- Evaluating your job application and contacting you regarding possible employment
- Verifying your identity, protecting against and preventing fraud, unauthorized activity, claims and other liabilities, and managing risk exposure (for example, monitoring our wi-fi networks for purposes such as security, abuse prevention and network management)
- Maintaining the operational availability and reliability of our IT systems with infrastructure backups and testing (which may use a copy of live data where test data is not practical)
- Operating, evaluating, and improving our business in other ways, including through analysis and research
HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
How we share personal data collected in a particular situation will depend on factors including the nature of the personal data, the purpose and context of the collection, and applicable law. Subject to such factors, we may share personal data categories described above for the purposes described above in the "How we use your personal data" section and as described below.
- We share personal data within the Alaska Air Group companies.
- We share personal data with travel agents, other travel, transportation and hospitality companies. For example, when you purchase travel from us that will be provided by another airline with whom we have a code-sharing agreement, we share personal data with the airline. As another example, when you choose to reserve or purchase third-party products or services through Alaska Airlines Cars, we share your personal data with the third parties and their service providers.
- We may disclose personal data about you (i) if we are required to do so by laws or legal process, (ii) to law enforcement authorities under appropriate circumstances, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate for health and safety of any person, to prevent harm or loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity. For example, for flights to, from, within or over the U.S., the TSA Secure Flight program requires Alaska to collect and provide the TSA with each passenger's name, birth date, gender and, if available, Redress Number and Known Traveler Number.
- We share personal data with companies that assist us with the uses and disclosures of personal data described in this policy. Examples include data backup companies and email service providers.
- We share personal data with joint marketing partners.
- We share personal data with Mileage Plan™ partners, such as companies with whom you may earn or use miles.
- We may transfer personal data in connection with a corporate transaction, business sale, merger, consolidation, divesture, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, bankruptcy, liquidation or reorganization, or as part of pre-transaction review in relation to these transactions. Whether the recipient of data in these cases will handle the data pursuant to this Privacy Notice depends on applicable law and other factors.
- We may allow you to connect your Alaska account with a third-party system, or to authorize a particular third-party website, application or service to access certain data we hold about you. For example, if you log in through an authorized third-party app that allows you to view your Mileage Plan™ account, we may share personal data with the operator of the app. Such operators' use of the information may be subject to their own privacy policies.
- Some third parties' embedded content, pixels, or plugins on Sites and in our emails, such as third party analytics and ad tech companies, Facebook "Like" buttons on our websites or apps, may allow their operators to use cookie IDs, device IDs, IP address, and other technology to learn that you have visited or interacted with us and how, they may use this information to create inferences about you, and they may combine this information with other, identifiable information they have collected about your visits to other websites or online services. These third parties may handle this information, and other information they directly collect through their content, pixels, and plugins, pursuant to their own privacy policies.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF PERSONAL DATA
Alaska is based in the United States and has locations in other countries. The recipients of the personal data disclosures described in the "How we share your personal data" section above may be located in the United States or elsewhere in the world. Privacy laws in these countries may not provide protections equivalent to those of your country of residence, and your government may or may not deem such protections adequate.
OUR LEGAL BASES FOR HANDLING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The laws in some jurisdictions require companies to tell you about the legal ground they rely on to use or disclose your personal data. To the extent those laws apply, our legal grounds are as follows:
- To honor our contractual commitments to you: Much of our processing of personal data is to meet our contractual obligations to our customers, or to take steps at customers' request in anticipation of entering into a contract with them. For example, we handle personal data on this basis for some of our reservation, ticketing and boarding processes, and for some aspects of our management of the Mileage Plan™ program.
- Consent: Where required by applicable law, and in some other cases, we handle personal data on the basis of your implied or express consent.
- Legitimate interests: In many cases, we handle personal data on the ground that it furthers our legitimate interests in commercial activities such as the following in ways that are not overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the affected individuals:
- Providing a safe and enjoyable travel experience
- Customer service
- Protecting our customers, personnel and property
- Analyzing and improving our business
- Processing job applications
- Managing legal issues
- We may also process personal data for the legitimate interests of our business partners, such as to coordinate loyalty programs, facilitate code-sharing relationships with other airlines or assist with marketing.
- Legal compliance: We need to use and disclose personal data in certain ways to comply with our legal obligations (such as our obligation to share data with the TSA through the Secure Flight program described above).
- To protect the vital interests of the individual or others: For example, we may collect or share personal data to help resolve an urgent medical situation.
HOW LONG WE KEEP PERSONAL DATA
We generally retain personal data for so long as it may be relevant to the purposes above. To dispose of personal data, we may anonymize it, delete it or take other appropriate steps. Data may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.
Due to the nature of our business, we may collect personal data about children from parents or legal guardians when it is required to comply with the law, including federal aviation or security regulations, or as otherwise required to provide transportation and other requested services. We may retain personal information when required to provide transportation and related services to a child.
Our websites and apps are not directed to individuals under 16 years old. As appropriate under applicable law, parents or legal guardians with questions or requests regarding their children's personal data may contact us as described below.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
You can view, update certain information and make certain privacy choices by logging in to the relevant portions of Alaska or third-party websites and apps. For example:
- If you have an online account at alaskair.com, you can login and visit the profile and settings of your account.
- To view and manage notifications and preferences relating to our apps, visit the settings menu of both the app and of your operating system. For example, you can follow those steps to disable or adjust precise geolocation, biometric (such as Apple Touch ID™ in our iOS app) or other features in our mobile apps.
Additional options are available:
- You can unsubscribe from certain types of emails by clicking the "unsubscribe" link they contain.
- You can unsubscribe from text messages by replying “STOP” as indicated within the message.
- You can opt out by contacting Customer Care.
- You can cancel your participation in the fingerprint identity verification service at an enrollment station or by contacting us as described below.
- Under U.S. law, we must deny boarding or take other steps when a ticketholder on a flight to, from, within or over the United States appears in certain databases maintained by the U.S. government. For inquiries or to resolve problems relating to your possible inclusion in such a database, you may contact the Department of Homeland Security Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP) "This indicates a link to an external site that may not follow the same accessibility or privacy policies as Alaska Airlines. By selecting a partner link you agree to share your data with these sites.". You may also contact us for confirmation that the boarding denial or other step is not the result of an error in our records or processes.
- You can request to opt out of receiving prescreened offers of credit for Mileage Plan™-branded cards from Bank of America by calling 1-888-341-5000 or from The Toronto-Dominion Bank (MBNA, for Canadian residents) by calling 1-866-845-0980.
- In addition, individuals in certain jurisdictions have legal rights to obtain confirmation of whether we hold personal data about them, to access personal data we hold about them (including, in some cases, in portable form), and to obtain its correction, update, amendment or deletion in appropriate circumstances. They may also object to our uses or disclosures of personal data, request a restriction on its processing, or withdraw any consent, though such actions typically will not have retroactive effect. They also will not affect our ability to continue processing data in lawful ways (for example, if you opt out of the use of your telephone number for direct marketing, we might still decide to contact you by phone regarding an urgent travel situation).
To exercise any of the above rights or choices (or any other rights under applicable law), please contact us as described at the end of this Privacy Notice.
The rights and options described above are subject to limitations and exceptions under applicable law. In addition to those rights, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority. However, we encourage you to contact us first, and we will do our very best to resolve your concern.
UPDATES TO OUR PRIVACY NOTICE
We may change this Privacy Notice to reflect changes in the law, our data handling practices or the features of our services, websites and apps. The new version will be posted at alaskaair.com. We will indicate at the top of the notice when it was updated. Where required by applicable law, we will apply changes only with your consent
HOW TO CONTACT US
Any request you make to the Data Privacy Office must be in writing and include your name and address and any other information that may identify you, such as the booking reference (e.g., confirmation number or record locatoer number), Mileage Plan™ account number if applicable, the dates on which the travel took place, and any other relevant information that will assist us to identify you. For certain requests, you must also provide a photocopy of your passport or driver’s license so we can verify your identity.
To exercise your rights under applicable privacy law, to raise a privacy concern, or to make a data-related request, please submit your request to our Data Privacy Office here here This indicates a link to an external site that may not follow the same accessibility or privacy policies as Alaska Airlines. By selecting a partner link you agree to share your data with these sites.
or at the mailing address below:
Data Privacy Office
Alaska Airlines, Inc.
P.O. Box 68900 - SEAES
Seattle, WA 98168
For basic requests (like a change of address), you can also reach our customer care representatives at the international contact number in your country.